
At the beginning of May my family went on a trip to the American South-East, we came back completely charmed, enchanted, and a few pounds heavier. Everything was so picturesque, the homes, the greenery... I felt everywhere I turned warranted a photograph. The mornings started out with biscuits and gravy, pecan pancakes, fruit, sausage and bacon. The days were spent busy indeed, trying to capture the flavor of every town as well as adventuring about taking in all the charm. Then the evenings we would savor another delicious southern cooked meal. Then sleep...well fed, warm, and happy in our comfy beds and beautiful hotels to wake up and do it all again. It was a dream vacation which Kate and I often miss. "I miss the south" escapes out mouths at least every other day. Because of this I know we will be back. And that makes me happy.
Our first stop was Jekyll Island. This place is exactly as the movies have portrayed the south. Moss hanging on the trees, plantation mansions, everglades, a fire fly haven, a time capsule into time. The Island was originally developed as a private hunting island, or playground for the wealthy in the late 1800's. The Jekyll club was the country club of the island while other families built their own summer homes, that are more like mansions, near by. Wild game would be shipped in for them to hunt. The club came to its end during the depression. But all the mansions have been kept up and the grounds well groomed, I could have spent many more lazy days enjoying this beautiful area.
Saw my first wild cardinal.
Bike ride with dad and kitch, we rode 3/4ths around the island. We were shooting for
the whole perimeter but us Utahans dont do as well in the sticky humidity. But we
loved our adventure nonetheless (especially with the wild life sightings and the stop
to the market to buy liter sized chilled water bottles)
This little guy was a little too friendly for our comfort level. What? yes I would love
to pet a raccoon, but they should be wild and dont want to be too close incase it
changes its mind about being nice.
Everglades
A secret little beach we discovered. Strangely beautiful and a graveyard for trees.
Creepy crabs, who are tricky.... make you believe they are dead and then
first and eye pops up and then the whole body speedily crawls away, giving you the
heeby geebies. Spiders of the sea I say.
Got back just in time to catch the end of the croquet match.
Then straight to the pool to cool off and sip Pina Coladas (virgin no worries).
Dressed up that evening to meet our tour for a cocktail hour (this time diet cokes with lemon) and then a 4 course meal in the grand dinning room decorated with fluted white columns and red roses. Reece and I shared the escargot for an appetizer, just so we could say we did, then salads, I had duck with blackberry sauce (my favorite) and then a pear cake with icecream. We right away connected with an amazing couple that had just returned from India and helped us plan our next summer adventure with great recommendations. Delightful.






























4 comments:
Oh wow, just gorgeous! I would love to visit there someday.
The raccoon reminded me a little of that part in Elf..."Does someone need a hug?" Hehe.
You have definitely made me want to visit the south. What beautiful pictures. It sounds like such a fun trip!
These are STUNNING! I've never really had the desire to go south, but these have definitely changed my mind
I want to go back ... like right now! I honestly miss the south sooooo much! I want to find that raccoon and nurse it back to health and make it my pet
Post a Comment