I have always wanted to experiment with bokeh filters
as they are something I wanted to incorporate into my
class' lesson plan on selective depth of field to spice things up,
so Kitch and I cut some shaped filters out,
dressed up, got out my christmas lights and strobes,
and did a shoot in my studio.
The filters are easy to make:
calculate [ lens focal length (mm)/lowest aperture your going to use=
size in mm that your shape needs to be on your filter]
Cut any shape to the needed size into black paper
which you attach to the end of your lens.
You must have spots of light in your shot and those spots
need to be out of focus (either due to selective depth of field
or just plain out of focus) for those spots to take on the
shape of your filter, you must also only shoot with the aperture
that you used in calculating the size of the shaped hole in
the filter.
We really loved how they all turned out.
So much so... we made a few of the images into valentines
that we handed out for the season.
Kitch used her "blowing kisses" shot for her valentine
I used my "sucker shot". We both shot one of those....
After we got them printed (at costco) we backed the pics
with cute patterned cardstock and then cut slits
at the top of my fist and then below my fist and then
laced a sucker stick through so it looked like I was
personally handing you the candy.
It is so fun being creative with Kitch. This shoot was
pretty good for our first use of the filters. :)
Needless to say I did teach my class how to make
the filters and we got some really fun shots, which
Ill post later.
Duboise always wants to be in the photo shoots. Crazy boy.








1 comment:
i LOVE these! Such a cute idea, you both look beautiful!
Post a Comment