Monday, February 7, 2011

Mandawa and on the Road

Mandawa-65
First day of our driving tour we checked out of the Imperial hotel
and met our driver Anil who was young, gentile, and quite. I had been
up all night getting sicker and sicker so I just ran to the car and laid down.
The car that we would be traveling in was a mini van, I was so grateful
for the extra legroom and space to lay down. We planned to drive about
5-6 hours a day for 10 days stopping at 4 designated villages and towns
for half day excursions and then to spend the night. Our tour made a
large circle throughout Ragasthan, ending in the last two of the golden
triangle cities. Jaipur and Agra. Most of our driving was through dusty
desserts, once out of the city our sight and photographs were tinted with
the color of dust blowing through the air. Rivers of sand could be
seen blowing across the road. It never ceased to amaze me to see spots
of color, painted doors or the womens' saris, popping out of the dessert
landscape.
Mandawa-4

Mandawa-9

Mandawa-10

Our first destination was the dessert city of Mandawa, and we
stayed at Castle Mandawa. The town and area are known for
their miniature paintings that adorn many houses and
buildings, these buildings are called Havalis. Our hotel being
one of the most extensive and best preserved Havali in town.
Good thing, since I was in no shape to go out walking around
and touring the town.

Mandawa_11

Mandawa-58

Mandawa-59

Mandawa-12

Mandawa-14

Mandawa_15

Mandawa_17

Mandawa-18
This is me trying to focus on getting better. Our room was
quaint, with small but beautifully carved beds, and no
airconditioning. Just a ceiling fan. The temp during night and
day was in the 90s. It was horrible. I would get up every 30 min,
drench myself in the shower, and then lay under the ceiling fan
just for some very short reprieve. I would be dry again in 10 min.
I couldnt eat anything, I just drank luke warm pepsi. Poor Reece
had to fend for himself that night and go beg the bar downstairs
for some food he could take up to our room. Luckly Reece had
downloaded some of our movies onto our laptop. I had never
seen Fantastic Mr. Fox and so Reece put it on for me as a
distraction. It worked for the most part. I even giggled at a few
parts, (smiling was rare for me during that night and day)
so that was a life saver. I will always appreciate that movie
from now on, crazy I know, but Im now bonded to it.
Mandawa-19

Mandawa_20

Mandawa-23
The next morning at 6 am the temp went down to the 80s and it
was such a relief. I stepped out of the room, fragile, but willing
to push to see what I had traveled so far to see. We toured the
hotel grounds and had breakfast.
Mandawa-27

Mandawa_25

Mandawa_24

Mandawa-31

Mandawa_29
Since we were traveling in the off season we felt
like we were staying at abandoned resorts, beautiful
but empty. As the days went by the lonelier we got,
strange as it sounds we welcomed the slightest crowd.
It made us feel safe, and not alone.
As a photographer I am grateful for the people-less photographs
but in a place where so much is different, I did wish we were
traveling with a few more people. But my husband was amazing.
I was so grateful for him every step of the way. Patient and
was always researching to help the trip go smoothly.
I love this man.
Mandawa-61

Mandawa-37

Mandawa-36

Mandawa-40

Mandawa_41

Mandawa-43

Mandawa_44

Mandawa-46

Mandawa-47

Mandawa-39

The pool, not cleaned during the season, but I can picture
how stunning it would be if it was.
Mandawa-38

Mandawa_cute-1

Mandawa-48

Mandawa-56

Mandawa-53

Mandawa_54

Mandawa_49

Mandawa_50
Back on the road again. Still getting used to the culture on the
roads. Cows roaming free stopping traffic laying everywhere,
camels, horses, or mules pulling carts in the bike lane,
tractors loaded with tons of people all wrapped up
in protection from the dust in the air, woman and children
balancing "side saddle" on motor bikes,
woman traveling to get water balancing large pots on their heads,
market stalls, then there are all of the painted trucks we would pass.
Fantastically painted. Driving is crazy. Fast, horns blowing
people passing constantly even with head-on traffic coming
full speed. There would sometimes be 3-4 cars wide across
the road for instantaneous moments as multiple people tried to
pass in all lanes. I was so grateful for Anil, he was calm, patient,
and conservative. He never tried to pull any crazy moves, we always
felt safe with him behind the wheel.

Mandawa-68

Mandawa_5

Mandawa-66

Mandawa-1

Mandawa-6

Mandawa-2

Mandawa-3

Mandawa-67

2 comments:

Judith said...

Every time I see your traveling pictures I feel like I'm right there at the places where you took them. :) Thank you for sharing!

Lindsey said...

Bethany your trip sounds believable, I'm so sorry you got, sick, you still look amazing in your incredible pictures!