Saturday, December 20, 2008

Im Dreaming of an Orange Christmas...


Its that time of year where Reece lets me and my creativity run wild as I deck our halls for the holiday season. We finally got our lights up this year (over the past few years we escalated a little bit each christmas, first we had no lights, then bought the lights but never put them up, then Reece put up one strand before I forced him to stop because of a storm, and now this year we got a neighbor to hang them all for us while the snow was so late in coming) YAY! we finally twinkle at night.
This year I was intrigued by some ribbon and a decorative throw that my mother gave me as she knew that I love terra-cottas and oranges. I wanted a newer look but didnt want to buy anything new so I gathered everything that I had that was either orange/copper/bronze, white, brown, and gold. And this is what I came up with. I found a creative way to display the two Japanese Obis that we brought back from our trip as garlands on the tree. I also found a sack of fat quarters of oriental silks in browns, tans, and creams that i was collecting for a future quilt that I was able to stash here and there. I had a ball.
The throw is on the back of the couch. We picked it out during a very long shopping day in Rhodes. I love it.



Yes those are japanese paper umbrellas. Different yes, but they grow on you.



Duboise (Dubie) and Mittens (Mitsy) didnt like getting pulled out from under their favorite seasonal "hiding place" (under the tree after messing up and nesting in the tree skirts) for a family portrait. They are the reason we finally went "Fake" as people are calling it, as the kittens would drink all the water and kill all our trees within the first three days. I got tired of sitting around brittle grey and brown trees on Christmas morning. SO we got this beaute.

Just as we got up our Christmas atmosphere, the Madisons and Meffords wanted to have a second Thanksgiving, this time all of us being together. So I got to pull out the wooden turkey that my mother got me and was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to use in the near future (with all the Johns' destination Thanksgivings). I continued my love affair with orange and we got a fun and festive table to go along with all the yummy food (all special dishes from Reece's parents' business 'A Dinner Market' ). It was a very fun and filling evening.



2 comments:

Kelli Ward said...

beautiful. you know you have a real talent for that. i was thinking this morning that you would make a great photo stylist for shoots. i mean it.

Anonymous said...

just lovely. absolutely lovely.