Tuesday, March 30, 2010

February Culture

For my February culture club meeting we had
a decorated dinner and discussed the celebrations
of different cultures that take place at this time of year.
We had a spicy southern dish served with crepes made by
Angie & Kelly then chinese chicken salad and pot stickers.
With the american south and China represented we then
talked about Mardi Gras and the Chinese new year as well
as the origins of St. Valentine. Everybody got recipes for
Kings bread to kick of their own mardi gras, then I handed
out money in red envelopes
(just one tradition of the chinese new years)
and read all the chinese zodiacs...this year is
the year of the Tiger.
I am a year of the Rat... sounds creepy but so many things
were in line with how I feel my attitudes about life are
and what I think my personal strengths might be:
- intense, meticulous, charismatic,
-sensitive hardworking, industrious
-sociable, artistic,over-ambitious
-Their intuition is strong and are always on the
lookout for opportunities to better themselves.
-One of the Rat's biggest fault is that they try to do
too much at once.
-They have a good memory and are extremely inquisitive
-Rats have great respect for their parents and dote on their
own children. They love their home.
Family life is very important to them
-are great problem solvers
-They love parties and other large gatherings

(And although its easy to ignore the bad characteristics of any
zodiac maybe I should pay attention to and try to root out
and fix what is mentioned, when found in me....
cause I know I have many many faults that I need to work on)
More of the negatives of being a Rat (which I KNOW I have):
-One can always tell when Rats are upset. They become
edgy, very nervous, and quite nagging
-They often buy things they don't need and tend to save
everything. Souvenirs and sentimental odds and ends are
found tucked away everywhere.
-Can be manipulative, vindictive, self-destructive, obstinate
Very thought provoking.

{For the centerpieces I made bunches of tulips or
of roses in different shades of red in glass cubes
lined with sliced strawberries}
For our dessert table Cassandra made the most
exquisite meringue cupcakes layered with fresh raspberries,
creme fraiche, and raspberry curd. Melt in your mouth
delicious.
I decorated some fudge brownies with colored
powdered sugar dusted through stencils that I
had cut out of cardstock.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I think that first picture belongs on the cover of Martha Stewart, it's gorgeous!