
The fam and I have gone on some really beautiful hikes lately. Our most recent was up to the Timpinogos Caves. There was no smog blocking the view down the canyon and across the valley, one of the good things about all the rain we have been having. Another plus, thanks to the rain, is the cooler weather. The sky was blue and sunny but the breeze was blowing cool and fresh. Perfect hiking weather. The hike up was a little steeper and longer than I thought it would be but totally worth it for the amazing view and the awesome caves...


The caves were totally magical. Like another world. It was a perfect time for me to venture among stalactites and stalagmites, formations of the deep, as I have just finished reading Jules Vern's "Journey To The Center Of The Earth". For some reason the old movie based on this book, 1959 version, was one of my favorites (the one with James Mason and Pat Boone) besides having a total crush on the guy that played Axel, I thought it was one of the most mystical and exciting movies. Seeing it now-a-days kinda makes me giggle at the old "special FX" but the story will always be a favorite.






To get my little nephew to come on the hike with us we told him we were going to the Bat Cave, which is the coolest lure I have ever heard of. So since he is totally obsessed with Bat Man he was stoked, he dressed up in his Bat Man PJ's (the ones with the detachable cape of course), his bat man socks, and his bat man shoes and was rearing to go.


Even Bat Man gets tired. I was pretty pooped too, I would have fallen asleep on Reece's head too, if I could have gotten him to carry me.

We also climbed big beacon, if your not sure where that is and you are in slc, just look north. Always a great hike. The entire trail was surrounded by yellow wild flowers. My dad loves to hike up the face just to make everyone sweat a little bit, and then go down the side, which is a much gentler slope but will still make the joints ache the next day.


And as if climbing to the top of the mountain wasnt enough, my dad was as excited as a little boy to climb the decrepit beacon tower on top. We all thought it would be fun... till we reached the top and felt it sway under our weight.


Im just amazed at how green slc is right now. Usually the vegetation would have transitioned into its annual summer shade by now (a brownish tan). Gotta love it.



1 comment:
looks like you guys are really keeping busy! makes me miss the mountains in utah! i made my little swirly frame on good old photoshop with some random brushes. ;)
Post a Comment