Monday, March 8, 2010

Bread and Butter

So after five years of trying to make my greek crown
loaves to look like my dad's..... I finally got close!

I remember fondly the days of cooking this recipe with
my dad, following his extremely precise methods of melting
the butter in scalding milk, proofing the yeast, mixing flour
in the dough till it "just looked right", cutting up the dough
into exact halves (he used his scale every time) then cut off a
third, than that third into eighths which were then rolled
out to 12in long strips (a ruler was also used every time). All the
risings were perfect and the last brushing of the egg made
for a beautiful golden brown. I remember the knocking on
the bread listening to see if it was baked all the way through,
although I dont think I ever understood what we were
listening for. But after all the ordeal, loaves of perfectly golden
crowns were lined up on the counter to be wrapped in cellophane
and gifted to the neighbors for Christmas.

As a grown woman with a home of my own thought it
would be special if I continued the tradition. It sounded like
a good idea till.... it all went wrong.... four years in a row.
Every year I would attempt two batches that would inevitably
fail to rise on either the first or second rising. Every year I
would buy new and fresh ingredients, pay special attention to
various steps, but to no avail. (It was last year after my annual
method and baked all kinds of bread treats to console the inner
doubt of myself ever being a fine bread maker.... the doubts were
appeased but not forgotten)

This year it finally dawned on me to ask my aunt who makes
all the bread dough for bread day (which includes the same greek
bread dough recipe) for some tricks of the trade. She gave me a
few step adjustments but the biggest change would be in the yeast.
She switched to using the same SAF yeast used in the pantry
secrets method (which always gives good results) for the greek
loaves. I tried all the new suggestions on the old recipe with much
apprehension afraid to get "burned" or in most cases "deflated"
yet again....but what I got in the end was pure satisfaction and relief.
Loaves of golden brown, round and thick, and perfection. Finally.


In some of the loaves I even used the traditional walnut
ornamentation. (one of my favorite parts) I also decided to
make some homemade orange butter to go along with
my gift loaves. Softened butter, a bit of powdered sugar,
orange juice, orange concentrate, and orange zest... chilled
then molded and wrapped in wax paper by hand. Yum. But
although I really wanted to try this new flavor, honey butter
is still my favorite topping for my toasted greek bread slices.
Especially for breakfast.


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

That looks delicious! Bread is sooooo intimidating to m. As always, I am very impressed by your baking prowess :)

Angie said...

whoa, that looks so mouthwatering!