Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Flexible Valentines

This Valentines/President's Day Weekend we put together
a fun and romantic getaway (since we had so much fun on
last years trip.) Little did we know that the trip wouldn't be
as simple as we had planned. Our original plan was to rent
a heated canvas tent in curry village in the Yosemite valley.
We were going to relax, photograph, hike, eat dinner at the
Ahwahnee, and introduce me to the area... Until now, I hadn't
seen yosemite before.
We packed up and hauled it to California, the landscapes
were simply gorgeous. We knew when we had hit CA when
we started to see blossoming trees popping out on the side of
the freeway. I had to stop and smell the blooms (as at the time
it was still snowy February back in UT where we were coming
from and the little taste of spring was delightful) Then back on
the road. The pass that we were planning on going through to
get to Yosemite was closed off due to snow so we called curry
village to let them know we would be late as we had to go around
to another pass, they assured us all was fine and that they would
see us whenever we were able to get there. After re-routing we
finally entered the park right at sunset. Ahhh! El Capitian, Bridal
Veil Falls, and Half Dome (although from far away) were stunning!
I was soo excited thinking about all the photographs that I was
going to get in the next few days. Then the sunlight faded and so
did our happy moods. The park was insanely crowded and it took
forever to get to the check-in desk. When we gave the concierge
our name he became awkward, always telling us to hold on
while he ran into the back and never looking at us in the eye.
He finally told us that our reservation was given away and
they were all full the entire weekend. We were shocked. We
pointed out that we were told that all would be fine, that we
had called ahead to let them know we were going to be late.
He said he had no record of that and there was nothing he
could do. It was so frustrating to see how rudely were were
being treated and spoken to. On about the concierge's 4th run
to the back, I told Reece I was done with it all and that we
should leave. We walked out and got on our iphones in the
car. In 20 min we had planned a new trip to Monteray and
Carmel, 3 1/2 hrs. later we were curled up in fluffy comforters
in the Hyatt hotel eating pizza and watching movies. Im
going to try to not be bitter towards Yosemite, I told Reece
that we will come back to camp in the summer and see
what fun we can have then.
Our first day on our "New" trip we went to breakfast
at the Tuck box in Carmel, an english tea house known
for their scones. I gave Reece a possibilities book that
I had been working on for weeks, 50 pgs of places and
things we have talked about wanting to do together, I
thought it was the perfect gift for my partner in dreaming.
We then strolled though galleries and
antique shops.
We drove down Highway 1, stopped off at a beautiful
Spanish Mission, a few fields of wildflowers, and a few
ocean lookouts to take pictures. So beautiful. Reece gave
me that beautiful gold necklace and matching earrings, there
was also an awesome chunky gold bracelet too. I love em.
Little did we know that there was a celebrity golf tour at
Pebble Beach that had just let out, so when we drove to
visit the Monterey aquarium the streets were jammed and
it took us 2 hrs just to park. Trying to keep in good spirits
we talked and planned about more things to put in Reece's
possibility book. When we finally entered the aquarium we
were just in time the Sea Otter feeding time. Sweet. They
are probably one of my favorite animals. I love aquariums
they are magical to me. I like to visit them where ever I
go...see here....& here.
Then we raced to the 17 mile drive so we could eat a picnic
dinner while watching the sunset. It was enchanting. After,
we had dessert in bed while watching more movies.
The next morning, before we left to go home, we walked on
the beach, ate valentines shortbread cookies and clementines
for breakfast.
We drove through San Francisco to snap some shots of the
Golden Gate Bridge. The fog was rolling in and was limiting our
photo opportunities fast. We couldn't shoot from the beach view as
you couldn't even see the bridge and we only got a few in of us
together before the bridge faded completely out of sight.
We crossed the bridge and was glad to find that the fog was only
one that one side so we continued exploring the views of the
bridge for a little longer.
The rest of the drive was beautiful, and I especially loved
when Reece pulled off in Reno to get me my favorite flavor
of icecream....cake batter with brownie chunks. We both got
super tired and had to spend the night in Winnamucca, but
that then allowed us to see the Salt Flats in the daylight the
next day.
Found this message on the shore and loved imagining
the story behind it. I then created a message for Reece
to stumble on a little later.
Goodness, there was a lot of stress and disappointment
included in our weekend trip but I am incredibly grateful to
have someone that helps me look at all the options and solve the
problems. We always balance each other's bad days out. We DID have
some amazing fun and got to see so many beautiful things too.
Thanks Babe for being flexible and for creating all these
memories with me. I will love you forever.

4 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Oh how spontaneous and romantic! I am jealous. So for for most of our marriage Michael has had to throw a stake youth activity that day :P But your post gives me hope that some day, some day, romantic vacations will be possible for us, too! They do exist! We love you guys so much. You set a good example and remind us all to stay in love with the one we love the most.

Unknown said...

Sorry that Yosemite didn't work out. It's a great park.

However, I LOVE the bay area, and I'm glad that you got to go to the Aquarium. I grew up about 30 minutes from Monterey so I have a lot of memories of the area. Carmel seems right up your alley too.

Let me know next time you're out that way, and I can give you some recommendations of my favorite things to do (I can also hook you up with a place to stay since my parents still live there).

*Kelly* said...

Sometimes I wonder if you two are for real!(In a good way!) You and Reece do so many things everyone else seems to only dream about! Thanks for living the dream and for helping me add to mine! Love you!

Marci Joy said...

Gorgeous.