Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Back to School.... Professor Madison.

This is now my new Institution of learning....UVU. But instead of being the teach-ee Im going to be the teach-er. I got my first teaching job a few weeks after I graduated when UVU's photography department called, in need of a photo 1 darkroom teacher. I totally jumped on this great opportunity. I teach two classes, 25 students each, twice a week. They are totally great students and even though most of them are not photo majors they are all anxious to learn and work hard. Im sure I scared them when I took them into the lab and did some demonstrations the first day of class.  I have now taught for four weeks and we our now on our fourth assignment. Its totally my favorite when while working with the students in the lab I see them get soo excited when their negs or prints turn out better than they ever thought they could. Photography can totally be so magical. I never get sick of seeing an image appear on the paper when Im developing a print.
On my first day of class my sister Kitchen gave me a teachers package complete with a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils ( You Got Mail), a mug because "no one questions your authority when you have a coffee mug in your hand" (Drillbit Taylor), colored pens to mark up and grade with, and finally, my favorite,  "Creative Juice" which is really mountain dew but seriously, if there were really something packaged that could increase your creativity I would totally be that product's first addict. Thanks Kitch! I have already used all the above items except for the juice which I am saving for a creative emergency.

3 comments:

Barb said...

What a cool job! Congratulations! And what a sweet sister you have there!

klt9976 said...

WAY COOL! I'm so excited for you. That is so fun and I know you love teaching. Did the charter school thing ever come through? Yes...lets do go out to lunch.

Kelli Ward said...

this is really awesome. i'm excited for you. it looks like you are doing great.