
Ah, the annual ritual. Don't worry, this isn't the final product... we actually got a lot of amazing images where everyone is looking at the camera and even smiling! But you will have to wait till you get the annual Johns Family christmas card to see how it all turned out. I thought that this picture captured perfectly what goes on behind the scenes....tickling the children, bribing the children, adjusting the clothes, adjusting the exposure, everyone getting their wiggles out (even the adults). Its funny how everyone will look like this all the way through 1-2 and then on 3 we all magically pose and freeze.
This year Reece and I got it down to a science. I picked the colors and even (with kitchen's help) bought all the clothes for everybody (our family does this so no one has the excuse of saying "I dont have anything that color" and then show up wearing something so completely random and not matching), I picked the location and rented lights. I showed up really early to set up and figure out the exposure as that is just time that the kids could get bored. Then when the kids came we set up a movie on a laptop where the kids could sit on a bench in the courtyard and watch while eating treats that we had brought until it was their turn. We tried to bring treats that wouldn't turn the kids mouths colors, no blue!, we brought nilla waffers, sprite, and m&m's (which turned out being a mistake, not only did they melt in the kids hands and not in their mouths but it ended up being melted and smeared all around the kids mouths) well, its noted and wont be repeated next year.
I connected a remote to the camera so that we wouldnt have to do the timer thing again this year. I let all the kids have turns pressing the button as long as they promised to hide the remote behind their back and smile while doing it. It was surprisingly a huge hit. They had a blast and got everyone laughing which made for great natural expressions. They would see how fast they could push the button in a row and yell cheese every time the lights flashed. We did end up with around 50 images of the family but as our chances of getting a perfect picture increases with numbers we got a few really good ones that were then made perfect with a few heads exchanged. I had a great pool of heads to fish out of too. I love Will's faces though....like this picture...


I realized that most of the time I photograph all my sisters kids and I dont photograph my sisters and their husbands enough. So we held mini mock-engagements for the couples. I think they turned out really well. I have such beautiful sisters.


Thanks Fam for another great photo shoot. Till next year.





3 comments:
Beth-
The photos are great!
:)
Ande Amott
They look great, even with all the crazy faces (will=hilarious!)
I'm excited to have you shoot our family- although I don't know if we can live up to the Johns' family photogenically!
Okay so Karen's little boys are still toddlers in my mind BUT they are such handsome little men now!! These pictures are beautiful and so is your awesome family.
Post a Comment