
Ohh, nothing rolls in the holiday spirit like Christmas music...Christmas music played my amazingly talented musicians is even better. My father who lives and breaths orchestral music ( this is a man that on our way to piano lessons would turn on the classical station in the radio and have us guess the composer and period or era) has made a tradition of going to the annual Vivaldi by Candlelight concert. It really is a lovely experience to dress up (when in high school us girls would wear our old prom dresses, now just classy but warm does the job) and then listen to a small section of the UT symphony play concertos and minuets from Vivaldi and other Baroque composers. It is always held in a cathedral or church where the acoustics are best. I always love to meditate while listening to the music, I listen to the violins and harpsichord keeping track of all the movements as I follow along in my program. Its a yearly brush up on the definitions of all the tempos, allegro, andante, adagio, largo etc. What a beautiful tradition, Thanks pops.




We also love to go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concerts, we have been lucky enough to get pulled these last few years as all the tickets are free but are handed out lottery style. We have enjoyed their majestic performances with special guests including Angela Lansbury, Walter Cronkite, The King Singers, and this year Brian Stokes Mitchell and Edward Herrmann. I recognized Brian as the singing voice of Jethro in the movie Prince of Egypt. He performed "Through Heavens Eyes" from the movie and I have to admit it was one of my favorites. Afterwards we strolled through the light display on Temple Square which, I have to admit, never looses its magic, even after a couple decades for me.








No comments:
Post a Comment