We celebrated our 4th of July weekend in the lovely
landscapes of Montana this year. Reece's parents, Reece,
and I drove up to his Grandma's house (the most lovely
house up on a lake in northern Montana) for the family's
holiday festivities.
It was cool enough to be pleasant but not cold
enough to make the water unbearable for swimming.
Oh how wonderful it was to reconnect with family,
hear all the old family stories, indulge in yummy food,
train in the beautiful great outdoors, and then ooo and ahhh
at uncle Don's larger than life firework show.
The only downfall was that I seemed to be all the mosquitos'
favorite flavor. Seriously I felt like I came home with
the chicken pox. Scratch scratch.
The drive was 12 hours one way, we broke it up between
two days on the way up....this is what the end of our
first day looked like. (No color enhancement
I promise, straight out of camera. On the first pic
the camera was set on shady WB
{more yellow than daylight balance}
which pulled out the yellows and oranges,
but I switched to tungsten balance to pull out the
blues and pinks in the second. Amazing.)
Grandma's dock and view from the house.
So calming.
Reece and I had to keep up on our triathlon training
so we had his family measure out our distance with
a paddle boat and fishing line. We swam everyday.
Open water swims are way creepier than
I expected. But I had good practice at focusing
on swimming and breathing when I couldn't
see further than a foot in front of me and while
strange plants are brushing up against my bare legs.
But of course my handsome man was a superstar, a
total fish.
We biked the area too, great trails. I only wish
that I rode the four wheeler with Grandma.
Next time for sure.
The house was so full of family that we had
to camp out in the yard. Can't complain when this is
your view every morning.
Uncle Don has quite the reputation around the lake for
putting on the best firework show over the water. He
has the greatest contacts from whom he gets giant loads
of the most impressive fireworks. He wires groups
of 3 or 4 to go off at the same time. And we got
front row seats! lying on our backs in the grass
looking straight up at the exploding glittering display.
WOW.
There are a few families that contribute
to the lakeside fire display from their own docks
and then there are a lot of families that
watch from their boats out in the middle of the lake.
A fire show in the round.
I will have to view from this point of view sometime.
But our view was still incredible. I loved seeing
fireworks and their reflections from docks
across the lake.






Everywhere you look there is always a stunning view.
So green.
On the way home we stopped off in the city of
Dubois Idaho to relive some fond memories.
This very small city is the infamous origin of our
fabulous mini panther whom is named
Dubois (Dubie for short) after this very town.
Our first year of marriage (on our way up for the
annual Montana july festivities) Reece and I pulled out
a frightened black kitten from under a truck that was filling
up at the same gas station we were. The owners of the truck
had been hearing meowing for the past 50 miles
but didnt find the need to pull over, to unstick the stuck kitten
from their axel.????!!!!! We had only wanted
to help the frantically meowing fuzzball and had no
intention of keeping him (well, maybe secretly I really did...)
but during the trip he became part of the family and
as never left us since. Those of you that have had
the pleasure of meeting this cat will know
he is truly a gem. I just love him too dang much.
As you have probably noticed he likes to have
his picture taken. Isnt he beautiful?
{Picture taken in our office while testing some
new flashes}
The very same gas station.
We were fortunate enough to have an ever changing
array of light, color, and cloud all the way home.
I couldnt stop taking pictures out my car window.
Here are only a few of what I caught,
it was so hard to choose
just a few.






































4 comments:
ok teach me how to capture the sunlight like that please!
what a beautiful place to spend the 4th! thats awesome that you swam in the lake in preps for a tri! i can't think of a better way to train! what tri are you doing?? love the pics! i must say that reece's beard and stache threw me off however; it rocks and suits him to a tee! (you know im am a sucker for the fuzz) hahahaha!!!!! beth you look gorgeous in a straw hat!
i love doobie and i am glad that you rescued him and kept him, he is a very very VERY lucky cat. and i also like your sunhat, im mad mine is lost and i need to get another one
That sure looks like a beautiful place (although I bet you were glad you were there in the summer and not the winter). Your fireworks pictures are very cool. I am so glad you guys rescued and kept Dubie (and Nora is very glad, too).
Post a Comment