Monday, July 13, 2009

Patty Cake, Patty Cake

I had an amazing amount of fun creating in
my kitchen last week. I always seem to be out of
town on my dear friend Crystal's birthday and have
missed all her cute b-day parties as a result.
So I have been known to bake her the fanciest cake
that I can at the time to help make up for it.
My dad helped me make one for her awhile back that
was chocolate peppermint so I decided to stick with
such a creative flavor but now try to decorate it more
Crystal-like.
{I thought that I would document the process in case
I ever want to recreate this particular creation}
I started with melting vanilla meltables (bought at Roberts)
flavored each batch with peppermint extract, and then
poured them into parchment-lined-pam-sprayed pans
After being put in the fridge for a few minutes to cool
I flipped out the hardened mint mixture on a cutting board
and with the help of a ruler cut it into 1 in squares.
I then baked the cake following the buttermilk chocolate
cake recipe in "The Cake Doctor", filled it with
peppermint buttercream frosting that included
crushed peppermint candies, and then frosted the whole
thing with a dark chocolate peppermint ganache.
Using the extra ganache as glue I glued on the mint
squares in a retro looking checkerboard pattern.
Pictures of Crystal I took for a school project,
back in the day.
Great modeling skills.

4 comments:

Nat said...

This cake is so cool! Your creativity amazes me.

Crittle said...

Yep! It is an amazing cake and it tasted just as good as it looked! Beth, you are so sweet and I loved how well you captured my taste. Like I said when you dropped it off, I don't think there is another cake out there that is more "me"!

The Kitch said...

i must admit, i am jealous of your creativity and your abilities, this cake is just beyond words

Jenny said...

That looks really yummy (and cute)!