Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Istanbul Memoirs

As another train of thought... {I always am reminded of sets of images while looking at other sets of images} but the last post on the Krishna Temple reminded me of all my images that I shot during a trip last summer, and how I had never shared them. Going back and looking at these images was so fun. It reminds me that I really need to push for a better output for my images, a show, a book, just something more.

We only had one day in Istanbul which started early in the morning with waking up to the Captain's voice over the PA of the ship. I was so groggy and upset that captain would wake everyone up so incredibly early but I then caught a glimpse of the light outside through a crack in the curtains and rushed to grab my camera, all feelings of anger vanished. The sun was just rising as we were slowly sailing into the Bosporus, bathing the city and buildings on the river front in a rosy light. It was an amazing way to first spot the blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia for the day. Our day proceeded with us visiting the two legendary mosques, stopping by the Topkopi National Museum to gaze at the royal jewels (so sad that they didnt allow pictures) , and then off to get lost in the maze of the Grand Bazaar (somewhere that I would have loved to spend many more days exploring).































Then after dinner I rushed Kate and Reece to come with me and sit out on the top deck as I shot the same river front as this morning but this time at night. The masques were so elegantly lit and while I couldn't stop clicking my shutter we were accompanied by a soundtrack of the call to prayer from four different masques creating an erie surround sound. We then entertained ourselves with counting all the color variations of the changing lights outlining the bridge over the Bosporus. A beautiful and incredible day.






1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow! So many gorgeous pictures! What an amazing place.