Thursday, January 21, 2010

Little Moments

This years holiday season was booked to the hilt
with activities...busy, busy, busy. I always long for those
stiller moments full of sentimentality, where time
is taken to enjoy coziness, warmth, and little delights.
But I always have a hard time slowing down, I love
planning, to-do lists, and having exciting activities to look
forward to. So because of my over scheduling I didnt have as
many of those little moments that I had desired and got
worn down by the all the racing around. I now vow to schedule less
for next holiday, and take more time to reflect, and have
more of those little moments where I simply
soak up all the goodness.
More moments like the few that I was able to slip in
this month....

First moment....decorating the christmas tree. Growing up I
remember my mother decorating two different christmas trees
in our house. The one in the kitchen had red lights,
was decorated with Norwegian and German ornaments made
of wood or straw, and displayed all the handmade christmas
decorations my sisters and I had brought home.
And the second, had white lights, shiny brass ornaments that
would rotated on their hooks, and a stunning Christopher Radko
blown glass ornament collection. I started to see the second tree
less and less as there were so many little hands threatening its
fragile beauty. Now with the lively filling of my parents' house
every holiday with all the grandkids, I didnt know when I would
ever see those shiny ornaments again. I asked if this christmas
I could barrow those memorable decorations and put them up
in my now childless home so I could appreciate them again,
and my sweet mother agreed.
I spent an afternoon pulling out, inspecting, and hanging
every one of those beautiful Christopher Radko ornaments and
garlands, each one is so unique and creative. Then came
the red velvet and gold ribbon, silver tinsel balls, and little
white candles in their fish clip holders. I enjoyed this moment
while also watching the movie Little Women, a tender movie
in my family as we too are a family of four girls. ( I would also
watch that movie a ton as a girl because of my huge crush on
Christain Bale who played Laurie). But the nostalgia and
tenderness of the activity was just so delightful.
Reece's parents had a tradition of giving their kids a nutcracker
every year under their pillow... this year the "sugar plum fairy"
doorbell ditched our home and left us some very adorable
ornaments of all the characters in the nutcracker suite.
Here is our cute Clara and the Mouse King who after being
hung turned to whisper and scheme with the Santa hanging
next to him. (I love the expression of that said Santa, looks like
he is hearing something scandalous)
There were so many different kinds of garlands: trains, Santas
and toadstools, sugared fruit, birds and nuts, snowmen and trees,
candy canes, and multicolored pine cones. They really
are a fantastic finishing touch.
Then one night although it was late, my sweet husband and I
made hot chocolate (the first perfect temperature hot chocolate
that I have had in so so many years, just hot enough it wont
burn but will shock and relax your throat on every swallow,
that maybe a funny description but the best I can do)
and then we curled up, wrapped in my faux fur blanket in front
of our glowing tree and read Jan Brett's The Mitten. I adore
all of Brett's books and dream of having my own collection of them.
Her Norwegian illustration style is so intriguing and I love how she
incorporates future events or a second story in vignettes on the
boarders. Half way through the story we had little Dubie jump up and
want to be part of our little family activity.
The next morning I made german pancakes, a new favorite breakfast
food of mine now that I know how fast they are to make. And we
enjoyed eating our cakes and drinking eggnog while again,
ooo-ing and Ah-ing over our tree.
Then after these very few but sweet moments we raced off
to join the hustle bustle at my very full parents house for Christmas
eve and day.
I am so glad that I had these charming yet quite moments this year,
I will remember them lovingly.

No comments: