Sunday, January 17, 2010

Snow-ventures

We were so happy to have lots of snow for our planned
family ventures into the cold outdoors. We took all who wanted
to ski, snowboard, our those that wanted to learn how, up to
the slopes. Large fluffy snowflakes accompanied us the entire
outing but did provide a manageable amount of soft powder
to glide down the mountain on.
This is the second year that we've taken my two oldest
nephews out to teach them how to ski. Living in AZ
like they do they don't have very many opportunities
to go skiing but they did great. They worked hard
and caught on fast, after about 45 min of practice on the
bunny hill they were asking for bigger and faster hills.
Since I boarded it was hard to go slow and do all the
bending down that my nephew needed me to do for me to
teach him how to work his skis, so I unstrapped and ran beside
him for the first couple runs.
At was so rewarding to see out pupils zigzag down the mountain
so controlled.
Reece, Kate, and I stayed awhile longer after the kids
went home and raced down the mountain to our hearts
delight, and then stopped by on the way home for our
traditional after- boarding hot chocolate flavored
with a plethora of tasty creamers (Im an irish cream girl)
from 7eleven,
We almost didn't get sledding in but we pushed to get the large
crew bundled up and out the door to first search for the
perfect hill and second to play hard.
The perfect hill was found in the Boniville golf course.
It was later in the evening so the misty air was illuminated
by a soft rose that turned into a deep blue purple.
The hill was also pretty iced over from previous sledders
and the melting and cooling of the day, which led to some
pretty fast speeds achieved on our sleds.
I love dressing the little boys up. Little boots, little mittens,
little hats.
We used the old disc sleds from our childhood, not a lot of
cushion if you go over a bump or control in changing direction
but good for speed... and always an adventure, as you never know
if your going to enjoy the next run facing forward or backwards
or just spinning the whole way down.
I was told that I broke the sound barrier, speed demon.
But I screamed the whole way down.
We sledded till it was too dark to see and we were too tired to
climb up the hill one more time. A happy tired though.
Why dont I get out sledding more often, I loved it.

No comments: