(Ever since Nora was born she has helped
everyone in the family blow out their candles.)
This was my cake at my family birthday dinner this year,
like always we had a Backer's Cake.
Ever since I can remember we have had Backer's Pastry
Shop bake our birthday cakes, it started with them
keeping up with all our themed parties over the years
and now we usually just get the huge frosting flowers and
sometimes little leaves on the sides (the ones my sisters
and I like to pluck off and eat secretly before dinner...
even now).
Everything about these cakes down to their buttery
frosting aroma reminds me of my childhood birthdays.
My mother would help us pick a theme for
our party and then she would decorate the table
to the hilt with decor centered around that theme.
We would then act out our theme in play
version before opening presents.
When Jenny's theme was 3 little pigs... I was the wolf.
At my Cinderella party...my dad was my prince....
and jenny my coachman :)
It was always so magical to have a huge cake that
matched the evening.
This has been a very tasty tradition, one that I love.
Here is a sampling of some of the beautiful and yummy creations
Backers has made for us over the years...
(and so you are not confused, I was a blond for most of
my life)
Kate and Dad's Halloween cake 2009
Kate and Dad's Cakes 2008
Jenny's Three Little Pigs Cake 1985
Jenny's Dinosaur party 1987 (Jenny always had the more
adventurous themes, I loved this one, all of the
family were cave people....and Jenny was a stegosaurus)
If you look closely the cake is an erupting volcano
with palm trees and dinosaurs crawling all over it.
My Cinderella Cake 1988
My Ballerina Cake 1989
My Little Mermaid Cake 1990
Kate's Calvin and Hobbs cake 1992
Jenny's Oz Cake 1992 (My mom decorated the table
with her beautiful vintage Oz books and set a place
so the life sized Jack the Pumpkin Head that Jenny
made could eat with us)
My Aladdin Cake 1993 (the start of my ugly years...
which unfortunately lasted a long time)
Jenny's horse cake 1995 (love the waterfall)
My Alien space cake 1995
My BYU vs U of U cake 1997
(still a U fan at heart)
Oh and wait... this is one of the years that
my birthday fell on thanksgiving (2001) so my candles
were stuck in the pumpkin pie....but I got to be
with my cousins that year so... even trade.
Now our husbands even get Backer's Cakes...mmmm,
even more cake.




.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

3 comments:
This is an AWESOME post!!!! yay to you for finding all these pictures they are amazing. I love the ones of us as little kids we were very cute children if i say so myself
We're a Backer's family, too!
I LOVE Backer's! They did my wedding cake!! Lovely post as usual
Post a Comment