Friday, January 15, 2010

Sweetie Pie

As one of my New Years Resolutions for 2009 I put down
that I wanted to try to bake 3 different kinds of pies, I was
hoping to spread out the pie making throughout the year but
it was December 20th and I still hadn't baked a single pie.
So I woke up early and spent the whole day baking what
ended up being 6 pies total. 3 Peacan pies, 1 pumpkin and cream
cheese pie with pecan and chocolate topping, 1 chocolate chiffon
pie, and 1 blueberry pie. For two of the pies I made my own
crust. Up until now the only pie that I have ever made was my
dad's famous mile high strawberry pie, a whipped
cold pie with a crumb crust, so everything for a cooked
pie was a first for me.
My second time rolling the dough out and placing in the pan
was much better than my first. And since I didn't have as much
dough as I wanted left over for a full pie covering for my
blueberry pie, I improvised a lattice which turned out
much better than I thought.
But both crusts ended up
pretty darn good.
I baked the pies for the annual Madison roast beef and
yorkshire pudding christmas dinner.
We had a gift exchange where all gifts were supposed to
be handmade. Reece was given a tin of homemade toffee
and chocolates...he was thus surrounded by finger licking children
the rest of the night.
Reece made some t-shirts for Taylor. We tried to take
Taylor's more serious interests and spice them up into
some edgy and cool designs. The dog ate my homework,
space, and Einstine. We got carried away and made a few
for ourselves. Mine has a camera on it and it says 'I shoot people'
Reece's is appropriate as his the the biggest mac fan boy.
I made some earrings and this necklace for my mother in law.
The pies were a hit. (with the Madisons one night and then
with my family the next)
Then at the end of the evening we put together the
traditional nutcracker suite puzzle. I love the illustration
style of this puzzle. My favorite parts to do are the sugar
plum fairy and the arabian princess. Its this puzzle that made
me rethink my original dislike of puzzles and actually ask
Reece for a couple for our house for christmas.

No comments: