Monday, November 30, 2009

Arizona Road Trippin'

We road tripped down to Arizona to visit my sister and
her family for a weekend. We wont be able to spend
Thanksgiving down there this year so we wanted to slip in
a visit so the wait till their Christmas visit didnt seem so
long. We also got to fit in a Christmas Card family
picture sitting in as well.

The drive down was beautiful, remnants of fall popped
out of the dessert landscape and we enjoyed watching
the light change and glow in different ways throughout
the day. I stopped the car various times during the ride
as well as took advantage of every rest stop for an
opportunity to photograph.

We drove over the colorado river on a bridge with a
gorgeous view, we had to stop and check it out.








We arrived late in the evening but still got to see the
whole family whom we probably squeezed to death with
hugs.
The next day we drove to Phoenix in hopes of seeing some
of my dear friend's photographs that were hanging in a
show, but unfortunately the gallery was only open for
viewing twice a month and I was there on an off weekend.
It was sad, but we all sat on the benches outside the gallery
and I got to share with my family about what Lisa meant to
me and how she had inspired me in my life. The children
ran around on the grass in the courtyard and we had a view
of a beautifully restored victorian house with mustard
accents (a perfect location for Lisa's work).

We then strolled around and found a fun soda fountain/
antique shop where we stopped in to get some lunch. I
loved watching my nephews play with their toy knights
on all the various objects on the table, as well as wolf
down the very delicious shakes. I had my usual, cookies
and cream, it was just perfect.










At nights we would play rounds of kick soccer (kick ball)
where the kids would eventually devolve into cheaters so
they could beat us. Even the little ones tried blocking the
bases with a large pvc pipe barrier so we couldn't score,
I thought it was hilarious, they are too darn cute. I couldnt
get mad.


I got to go cheer for my little nephew at his soccer game
the next morning. He scored two goals and played great
defense, my sister says all he does is practice when he is
at home. He was awesome, Im such a proud auntie.


My nephew's team were the white tigers and I loved hearing
them roar at the other team after every time-out. The
other team were the Bulldogs, and they brought their
mascot to sit on the sidelines and watch. I loved seeing
the different players interact with the dog, some would
barely touch it and were timid while others would squirt
Gatorade out of their water bottles which the dog would
excitedly lap up. I had to go meet this mascot and take
a couple of pictures, it ended up being a she and her name
was Gracie. She was a sweetie, but wanted to play as one
of the team instead of sitting on the side watching.


I love how the coach is "helping" them hold out their hands
in good sportsmanship.
We then went through the whole picture taking ordeal,
always an adventure, but we got some really great shots.
I especially love the individual shots of the boys, I will
post some later. We tried to coordinate the color theme
that the rest of the family will be wearing in the family
picture I will take of them during thanksgiving weekend.
That way the two pics would look good together when they
are sent out in the same card that my parents are sending.



Dinners and game nights were also a very fun time.
Karin got me a new game for my birthday called
imagine-if. We had fun playing it with her family,
and it was an instant hit with the rest of the family
when I brought it back to play at home.
One night while my sister and her husband had to go
chaperone for a ward youth dance, we took the boys out
bowling. It was fun to see all the boys different styles
and how they enjoyed the evening in different ways.





It was so good to spend quality time with my beloved sister,
I loved all the late night talks and discussions. Thank you
Kare for letting us come down on such late notice and for
hosting us. We love you and your family dearly.
On the way home we took a detour to see Sedona AZ,
which I have never seen before. And true to all the rumors
is is beautiful. We stopped and had lunch (no not at McDonolds)
at a delicious bistro where I had the best sandwich I have
had in my life. Pastrami, olive tamponade, mozzarella cheese,
all wrapped in a buttery poppyseed bread and then a
lemon creamy vinaigrette dipping sauce, truly divine. We
ate outside with the cool breeze and the sound of water
trickling in a little fountain. Calming. (bistro was the
I had heard that the Sedona McDonalds is the only one in
the world without golden arches. They thought the yellow
would clash to much with the surrounding redrock. hmmm.
















The trip was fast and kind of tiring but well worth it.

4 comments:

Marci + Dan said...

I'm so jealous you went to Sedona. It looks so lovely and special.

Toni S. Cook said...

I can't BELIEVE how big Karen's boys are!! It feels like last year that we went and visited her in California and went to Disneyland. They are such big handsome boys now! And the younger two are soo cute! Wow. You and Reece look great as always. Sorry I am the worst culture club member ever, life is crazy sometimes. We hope to see you guys soon.

The Kitch said...

fine I'll say it ... im super jealous of this trip i miss that little family waaaay too much! we definitely need to make another spontaneous road trip and this time to arizona for her birthday if not before, i liked our last one a lot a lot.

The Kitch said...

P.S. I LOVE their family pictures they are so adorable the colors and cool clothes were very much worth the trouble they caused with certain we know whos