Friday, November 6, 2009

Kokopelli Tri

One of the most recent ways that my friend Lisa inspired
me was to be more active, enjoy the outdoors and nature,
and to add the goal of doing a triathlon onto my new year's
resolutions. I had hoped that this years goals could help me
get into shape enough to attempt to do the "She Rox" all
women's triathlon in AZ with her next year as she had done
it two years in a row now. Maybe Ill still do it sometime....Karin?
Im so glad that I had such a wonderful example to
follow. Training for this has been such a wonderful and trying
experience. I loved seeing my body progress as I
pushed myself in workouts more and more. I love how
a hard workout makes me feel, strong and refreshed. Sports
has always been a love of mine, and I have felt the joy of
having a physical outlet in the past and it was great to
have one again. I had grown to love running in High School
as I was on the cross country team, but it was fun to develop
a love for other forms of exercise in swimming and biking.
And I cant tell you how much I loved having my sweet
husband as a training partner. He was just the right amount
of support and push that I needed, and he totally got me all
geared up with the perfect stuff. Our first triathlon in
bountiful was a good starter run for us learning how to
do a triathlon. We learned a lot from it which made this
triathlon go much more smoothly and be much more
enjoyable. Oh and it was enjoyable, I smiled during the
whole thing, again I was totally giddy. It was so hard yet
so fun.

Driving down to St. George for this event was full of obstacles
and trouble. I decided to have a huge fashion shoot the day
before to get images to submit to a show all printed and
mounted the day of. Chaos. The shoot had its own story,
to follow. And the day we were to drive down I was
stressed to get my work ready. Set back after set back
caused us to get on the road 5 hours later than planned.
Then when stopping off in Provo to meet up with our
friends, a disturbing discovery was made.... one of our
bike tires came off our bike rack while driving. So if you
find a bike tire on the side of I-15, its ours. Frustration.
But our cute friends the Weights let us barrow a tire and
we set off again (with my warning that if one more thing
went wrong we were turning around). Nothing else went
wrong and the drive went well, my spirits were lightened
as I watched "17 Again" on the laptop. We pulled into our
friends family condo pretty dang late and rushed to bed
as we had to get up in just a few hours for our race.


We got to the race location while it was still dark and I
got pretty intimidated by all the hard core athletes there.
The athletes went in waves: elite, olympic men, sprint men,
olympic women, sprint women. I was in the last wave.
I had time to warm up in the water in my wet suit. Let me
tell you I LOVED swimming in a wet suit. I just glided
through the water. I had time to relax and watch the
beautiful sunrise before my wave set off to race, so I
felt calm when the gun went off and had the best time in
the water. The water was warm, I glided with every stroke,
the light was bright on the water, and once I got in a spot
surrounded by gals swimming at my speed I wasnt crowded
at all. It was energizing. This time goggles were under the cap
so I didnt loose them.




The bike was challenging with its many hills and one being
a grade 6 for a mile. I was determined to not stop. When
biking with my dad and sis I was always the slow one that
stopped, I got it in my head that I just couldnt do it. But I
was going to prove to myself otherwise. I paced out changing
my gears, so I always had an easier gear to look forward to.
Reece was way ahead of me but I did get to hear the announcer
yell Reece's name as he was crossing the finish line as I was
setting out on my running section. The run ended up being
much much harder than anticipated, it was trail running in
the red loose sand. :( It slowed me down quite a bit, at
times my run was slower than an average persons walk.
But I knew that if I slowed to a walk I would get lazy. When I
did cross the finish line I was ecstatic. Much happier than
the total crab-face I was when finishing my half marathon
a few years ago, cramping calves and raw underarms dont
make for a happy camper. But I felt great at this ending.



Thanks Nick and Libby for your cheers and for taking all
the pictures of us during the race. You guys are awesome.

Totally happy with ourselves!
Afterwards we went for some nourishment at a highly
recommended mexican place. The food was delicious and I
got to drink coke out of the largest coke bottle I have ever
seen.
Then we got dessert at 25th and Main cupcake shop.
Very cute little spot. Loved the birds.





After a luxurious shower and nap. We went for some thai
and sushi (two of my favorite things) and then went to a
showing of the musical Aida at the Tuachan theater.

Love this card that we came home to from husband's parents.
So accurate. down to our numbers, metals, and my baby's
funny vevrem 5 toe "barefoot running" shoes.
Great week end. Thanks you Weights for help
making it possible.

No comments: