Monday, November 2, 2009

I Will Remember You

My sweet and dear friend Lisa past away a few weeks
ago and I miss her so much. This post is extremely hard
for me, I am heartbroken and want to honor her
and her friendship with respect and love. Her obituary
was truly beautiful and described her life and passion
wonderfully.

Lisa Jane Layton Okland 1985 ~ 2009 Lisa Layton Okland passed away
in Tempe, AZ on October 17, 2009. She was born to Clark and Renda Layton
in Salt Lake City, Utah on June 14, 1985. An honors graduate of Highland High
School in 2003, Lisa was a student leader and served as Dance Company
President. She married her high school sweetheart John Christopher Okland on
June 23, 2006 in the Salt Lake City Temple. Lisa graduated from Arizona State
University with a Bachelor of Fine Art in Photography. An accomplished dancer,
artist, photographer and triathlete, Lisa set a standard of excellence. Spending
time with family was Lisa's greatest joy. She cherished her role as a wife;
her greatest blessing was her loving and supportive husband, Chris.
They shared many adventures in the great outdoors from the deserts of the
Southwest to the Fjords of Norway, often joined by their dog Ralph and
always by Lisa's camera. Children adored Lisa! She lovingly nurtured
many children in her family as an aunt, in her community as a nanny, and
abroad as a teacher in Ukraine and Mexico. Sweet, giving, creative,
selfless, kind, energetic, fun, thoughtful, and helpful, Lisa rained light and love
on our lives. She was a blessing from above. Her grace, beauty and good
will touched and charmed us. Always expressing appreciation, Lisa was a
supreme example of what it means to be grateful. Lisa choreographed
her life with passion using every part of herself: a mind for learning, an eye for
composition, an ear for listening, a heart of kindness, a hand outreached,
a smile for everyone,and of course. . . a sense of humor.
Indeed Lisa showed us all how to "take life by the hand and dance."

Reece and I were supposed to drive down to stay
with her and Chris and go to the U2 concert
together on Oct 20th. I was in shock to hear we had all
lost her, especially since I was so close to seeing
her. My heart ached for her family and husband.
Friends came into town and we cherished the
memories of Lisa together. I didn't understand.

The funeral brought peace to my heart,
the speakers reminded me of my faith in eternal
families and in a merciful Father in Heaven.
As a photographer I loved the words spoken
by the last speaker,
"Just like in photography, the more we are exposed
to the Light the more developed we become. So
much in photography has to be done in a dark room
the same is done with our lives, we need to have faith
that our lives will develop and turn out fine although
we often have to do this in the dark and dimly lit times"

I tell my students that in photography your medium is
light. You control it, work in, and with it to create
a beautiful result. I hope that I can say the same with
my life. Lisa definitely was a source of light in my life.
She exposed many beautiful moments and memories
for me.

Lisa, I have faith that I, and others that love you, will
see you again. I know that you were received with
the understanding arms of a loving Father who has
given you the peace and comfort you needed.
I have had people tell me that you were an angel on
earth and that you are most likely and angel now looking
down on and caring for those you loved. I have no
doubt that you are.

(us receiving our young womens in excellence together)
Thank you for making sure we danced a full song together
at my wedding. (and for exchanging so many sweet
words while doing so)
Im so grateful I was able to fly out from NY to be
there for you on YOUR big day. You were stunning.
I still want that bridal picture you were going to
trade me for one of my bridals.
Thank you Lisa for everything. For leaving me
with so many kind letters, beautiful and fun pictures,
and sweet memories to remember you by.
-Picnics with your gourmet sandwiches in
the park while ditching last period
-Dancing to Ricky Martin or MJ while
getting all done up for the night
-cuddling and watching Brave Heart in your
bed when we both had our hearts broken
-You always playing with my hair with your
perfect little nails
-Making me laugh till I couldn't breath
-Having matching haircuts in Jr. High
(although your pulled it off much better)
and playing tricks on your mom
-Sleepovers, mischief, and impersonations
-Receiving meaningful letters from you from NY
-Promising each other we would always be friends
after we graduated
-You holding my "Reece's Pieces" themed Bridal
Shower
-Dancing at my wedding
-Dancing at your wedding
-Talking for hours about how we both wanted to
teach photography and have a family
-Your sweet comments on my blog
-looking forward to what you would post next
on your blog
-How you inspired me in everything
-Us growing up, together
Thank you.

9 comments:

The Winkels said...

What a beautiful tribute Beth. Thank you for sharing this. Love you.

*Kelly* said...

Bethany,
This post is a beautiful memory to Lisa. I unfortunatly didn't know her but now I feel as though I have just been introduced but all the kind works and shining memories that you shared. I am so sorry for your loss, I know your heart feels heavy but thank you for sharing those beautiful words from her funeral, they touched my heart. I love you Bethany and I hate to see you in any pain. Please rememember how much the Lord truly loves you as you are such a special daughter of his that he knows personally, he knows the thoughts and intents of you heart. I'm sure that the Lord is holding Lisa in his arms right now, guiding her towards the eternal light. Thank you for sharing this post, it truly has made an inpression on me. XOXO

Barb said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and all of Lisa's family and friends.

Lindsey said...

Thanks Beth, that was beautiful. Love you!

Toni S. Cook said...

An amazing tribute to what sounds like a deeply bonded friendship. How lucky we are to understand the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation. This was beautiful, Bethany. I hope you are able to find peace at this time, because there is no doubt that Lisa is at peace in a much better place. I love you Beth!

Angie said...

thank you for opening up your heart and sharing your truthful & elegant feelings *heart hug*

Mindy Widdowson said...

Bethany-
I am so sorry for your loss. The death of someone I love is still very abstract for me since I haven't really experienced it yet. I hope that I have the right words to express myself the way you have here when the time comes.
Love,
Mindy

Mindy Widdowson said...

Bethany-
I am so sorry for your loss. The death of a loved one is still an abstract thought for me. I hope when the time comes for me to have this experience I will have the words to express myself the way you have done here.
Love,
Mindy

Marci + Dan said...

Bethany - This is so beautiful. I admire your strength in being able to write it. I haven't allowed myself to fully express what Lisa means to me yet - it's still so hard. Reading this has given me courage to at least try...

Thank you for posting this. I know that you meant so much to Lisa too.

Please keep in touch.