
{Top: mine and Kitch's vandykes. Bottom: various inspiring
photograms found online, couldn't find artists names,
thank you unknowns}
Thought I would combine a couple of my favorite things
and do a fun fall project. I loved my alternative processes
class at BYU, the organic feel of all the prints, the and
artistic science of it all, so fun. I ordered all my chemicals
from here... Inspired by botanical photograms I decided
to use the vandyke emulsion on heavy water color paper
and my collection fall leaves. Once sensitized and arranged
under glass the prints expose under UV rays. We used
the sun. Then they are developed in a series of baths.
It was great to use my darkroom again.....guilty
confession: the last time I used it was for my senior show.
They turned out fun, I was hoping for more texture within
the leaves, veins and stems, so they would look more like
photographs rather than paintings, but I liked what we got.
Maybe next time I can use black lights instead of the
unpredictable sun and calculate the exact exposures for
the look I want. But I do now have a great appreciation
for the early photographers that discovered processes
like these in their quest to invent the photography we
enjoy today. Thanks Kitch for experimenting with me.
The Vandykes that I created in school look great hanging
on the brown walls of my bathroom downstairs. My theme
for that portfolio was also botanical prints but I shot 4x5
film that I enlarged using ortholitho film to get 8x10
negatives to use in contact printing. I still need to get
the artichokes framed and hung, its down somewhere
on the house project to-do list.







4 comments:
we are so awesome and creative. i love us and our crafternoons
no beth, thank YOU for including me in your creative adventures. in reference to your offer to do another shoot: i am totally ready for the next one :) i think it's therapeutic. i have a hard time being in the here & now sometimes & i really think it centers me (& excites me). i hope you get all of your editing projects done soon so we can play! i guess i'll see you thurs. night :) heehee!
There's are so lovely.
You are so TALENTED! I'm amazed.
Cousin Ande
Post a Comment