Monday, November 30, 2009

A BOSTONian Birthday

(Warning: I took so so many pictures of this lovely event,
it was too dang hard to pick which ones I wanted to share,
so here is the large volume of pics that I just
couldn't get myself to whittle down any further)
My sweet sweet husband took me on a magical weekend
trip to Boston for my birthday. He was able to use our sky-
miles and credit card points so the trip was almost a freebie.
Reece is the best trip planner, guaranteed. He knows I love
metropolitan vacations, he took me to Chicago last year
which totally enchanted me and for this year Boston couldn't
have been more perfect. I love colonial architecture and then
to see it in the fall, what a dream! Again he didnt tell me where
we were going till we were at the airport and I was breakfasting
on my favorite airport treat, Cinnabon. I was so excited shrieks,
howls, kisses and hugs inevitably ensued. I was so glad I
brought my book club pick for december, Little Woman, along
to read on the flight, it totally got me into the Bostonian
mood.
(I was so excited to see the lights out my window, had to
pull out my iphone)
We had the best taxi driver that took us from the airport
to our hotel, he was from Ukraine and was living in Boston
with his daughter who went to North Eastern for micro-
biology (wow) he told us tons of stories and was such a
jolly and proud grandpa. Right after we dropped off our
suitcases we couldn't wait to jump on the hotels shuttle and
visit the wharf for a yummy seafood dinner. Coconut curry
mussels, crab cakes with Dijon mustard, and stuffed
lobster. And then Boston cream Pie for Dessert.



The next morning we visited the Museum of Fine Arts and
feasted our eyes on priceless works. Ahhh so beautiful.
The interior of the museum was gorgeous, the main rotunda's
ceiling was painted in mythological scenes by the artist
Sargent. We also couldnt help strolling the area and playing
in the fall leaves as it was 70 degrees!









Renoir my favorite impressionist, and Reece with some
of Monet's series, haystacks and Rouen Cathedral,
seriously priceless in my mind.





'The photography and contemporary wing was surprisingly
fun, iconic images on the walls and some very entertaining
installations (movies to follow).


(This gigantic cyanotype looked so much like one of my
student's photograms, I hope she sees this and realizes
she was on the same wavelength as some big-time
artists, way to go Esther)

These paintings remind me of prints that hung in my house
as a child, pretty sure that one of the girl with the hat is
still up somewhere...craft room, or guest bedroom closet
I know Ive seen it recently.
When we stepped out of the museum the wind was blowing
the leaves high in the air in little tornadoes, so so magical.


We then ventured to Boston common to find the freedom
trail. I could easily move into one of these brick town
houses lining the park in a heartbeat. I love the white trim
and shutters.
You could probably guess that I loved the fat and tame
squirrels.

Follow the red-brick road! The Freedom trail is marked
with this lovely red line all throughout the town so you
can find all the historic spots and not get lost.


I loved this creepy old cemetery with its blanket of fall
leaves. The last time I was here in Boston I was photo-
graphing for my application portfolio for the BYU photo
department. It is amazing how photographing enhances
your memory, I was stumbling across the very spots
where I had stopped to take pictures all those years ago.
There was a familiarity with the whole town that I adored.
I will have to post those early pictures of bubble lampposts
and crooked gravestones. It was because to those images
I was accepted into the program as a freshman in college.


Reece and his man-crush Ben F. (for Reece's sake its not
as much of a man-crush as is it a general emulation of Ben's
achievements (but not actual lifestyle though))


We lost the race with the winter sun and only walked half of the
freedom trail during daylight. We stopped at Quincy
Market for some dinner and dessert, the largest macaroon
I have ever seen, as big as my face. We finished the trail
in the night lights but decided to return in the morning
to be able to enter more of the buildings.




(anyone want a Lobster Christmas tree, haha)


The new bridge that completed the Big Dig.
(The Old North Church where Paul Revere began his
midnight ride, where lanterns were hung in the steeple,
one if by land two if by sea, do you remember how many Paul
saw that fateful night? clue: I took a picture of it)
(TWO)
The next morning we went back to finish the freedom
trail in the daylight. We visited Paul Revere's house which
was just down the street from the very cute restaurant
Mamma Maria which we had our eye on and even came
back to dine later that eveing.









We then rented the cutest mini cooper through a very
awesome company called zip car. They have cars stashed
in various parking lots throughout the city and with an
iphone app you can be guided to the car nearst you and
which allows you to make a reservation while
standing next to the car. You then swipe a membership
card on the outside of the car which will unlock the car
and the keys are inside along with a gas card. So
amazingly easy and quick. With our cute little automobile
we drove down to New Port Rhode Island where we drove
through the most picturesque towns of wood slatted houses
of all different colors and then ended up at the Mansions on
the Coast. There are about 10 mansions all built in the
guilded age of the late 19th century, by industrialists like
Cornelius Vanderbilt, Edward Berwind, and William Wetmore.
I visited these mansions with my family on a road trip up
the east coast were we stayed in bead and breakfasts. My
favorite was Rosecliff. Sadly I wasnt going to be able to
show Reece around my favorite mansion as it was closed
for the winter season , but we were able to visit two of the
most stunning of the properties, The Breakers and The Elms.
The interiors were all decorated for the christmas season with
flowers and glittering decorations that matched the decor of
every room. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when
they told me no pictures, literally almost a panic attack
how can they have such amazing displays and not allow
anybody to record it. They allowed people to only take
pictures of the trees in the main halls and I slapped on
my wide angle and tried to get as much of the scene as I
could. I was able to make it through the houses without
taking any pictures and without making a scene, although it
was very difficult. Ill scan some pictures of the rooms from
a book that I got so you can see some of the beauty we were
beholding.
The Breakers









The Elms
The sun was setting when we got out of the house so we
took pictures in the rose light on the beautifully trimmed
grounds. Ah so romantic.






We wanted to stop by Plymouth to see the infamous rock
in token of the season, (I was born on thanksgiving by the
way...) but it was too dark and we had dinner reservations
that we need to make, so we then raced back to Boston.



A dinner at Mamma Maria, then a showing of New Moon
(yes I admit we went and saw it, it was not my favorite
but it was funny to be in a theater with all the hype)
after we strolled the town took night shots, and then
popped into PF Changs to warm up and get some of their
mini desserts, the s'more one is my ultimate favorite.
The next day we went to the Isabella Steward Gardner
Museum, again no pictures, Killer! It was a beautiful
collection displayed in the most beautifully decorated
rooms. We loved this museum for all the same reasons
we love the Frick Museum in NY, stunning and intimate.
After we raced to the Aquarium for a quick visit before
we had to fly out. I love aquariums and Im so glad that
I have a man that will enjoy little pleasures like these
with me.



(*wink*)






What a wondrous weekend. Jam packed with beautiful
things, I was endlessly fascinated, and I couldnt have asked
for someone to enjoy it with me more than my dear husband.
Reece you spoil me beyond words and I am forever indebted
to the kindness you show me everyday. From the small to
the grand you are so selfless and generous. Thank you from
the bottom of my heart. I love you.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

AMAZING. Judging from your incredible pictures I'm certain it was a happy birthday :)

Toni S. Cook said...

What an adventure!! I am in New Hampshire for Christmas this year so we will be spending quite a bit of time in Boston. Since flying out to meet Matt's family for the first time I have LOVED that city, your pictures captured some of my favorite spots! Looks like you had a fabulous birthday!! Hope your holidays are equally as fabulous.

Rie Teemant said...

WOW! You make me want to go to New England even more now! What great pictures and a fun trip!!!

Angie said...

where could i get prints of those photos of david bowie?! Aaaah, what it is about his odd look that i just can't seem to get enough of?